We all have items in our homes that are worth protecting. From family heirlooms and important documents to electronics and jewelry, properly storing the expensive and sentimental pieces in your home should be a priority, not an afterthought. Check out these simple tips on what to do (and not do) to store valuables safely in your home.
Places to Avoid When Hiding Valuables
Whether you're trying to protect your valuables from damage or would like to prevent them from being stolen should someone break into your home, choosing the right spot is essential. Here are some areas of your home where you should avoid storing your most valuable belongings:
- Areas exposed to moisture aren't the best places to store any valuables. Take special care with items that could be ruined, such as documents or electronics. With this in mind, avoid hiding anything near the water sources in your kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room. Also, avoid potentially exposed areas of your garage.
- Avoid the obvious. Jewelry boxes may seem like a great spot to store necklaces, rings, and bracelets. But they're also one of the first places burglars will look when breaking into your home. For this reason, it's best to store your most expensive and sentimental pieces in a more discreet location.
- Consider the environment around the location. Water isn't the only factor to consider when choosing an appropriate hiding spot for your valuables; heat can also ruin your most prized possessions. Choose a spot that is away from heat sources, including light fixtures, HVAC ducts, and kitchen appliances.
Pick an Unsuspecting Location
No one ever thinks that a thief will break into their home and steal their most valuable belongings. But the reality is home invasions happen all the time. To ensure that your valuables are well-protected, it's best to be prepared. An easy way to go about this is to pick an unsuspecting location to hide your sentimental, valuable, or important possessions. Here are some spots to hide items in your home where no one might think to look:
- Your garage: Most people trying to steal from your home will do so in a hurry. No one will have time to sort through boxes in your garage. (Just be sure to choose water-proof ones.)
- Your freezer: Wrap small valuables in tin foil, then place them in the back of your freezer.
- Your pantry: Clean out food jars or containers in your pantry to provide a clever disguise for anything that can fit inside them,
Invest in a Safe
When it comes down to it, deciding to store valuables safely in a home safe is one of the most effective ways to keep them secure. Even if a burglar finds your safe, breaking into it is a different story.
Fortunately, there are a variety of safes available to match your specific needs, including your desired size, price point, and level of protection. Along with selecting a home safe that is large enough to accommodate all of your valuable items, it's wise to consider other factors before purchasing one, such as where you plan to store it and how easily you'd like to have access to your belongings.
Hide Things in Plain Sight
The best hiding spot is the one that no one will know is there. What better way to keep your valuables safe than by storing them in plain sight? With a hidden door from Murphy Door, you can store valuables safely by keeping them tucked away in a room or closet that only you know about.
Also, our hidden door solutions can enhance the style, functionality, and ambiance of any space in your home. So visit us online to browse our Mirror Doors, Flush Mount Bookcase Doors, Wine Rack Doors, and more that can effortlessly make your home more secure and attractive.