Between schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and spending time with friends, teenagers live busy, active lifestyles. When they aren't at school, practice, or hanging out with their peers, most teens are relaxing in their bedrooms. While they're navigating the murky waters between adolescence and adulthood, it's important that their bedroom be a functional place for them to work, play, and relax in. Designing your teen's room to be a space that meets their needs and reflects their interests can seem like an impossible feat, but it doesn't have to be. Check out these four simple tips from the design experts at The Murphy Door; create a room for a teenager that your teen will be proud to call their own.
1. Incorporate Playful Touches
While the rest of your house may be elegantly decorated, the perfect room for a teenager would be as fresh and youthful as they are. To give their space a contemporary vibe, a few unexpected features can go a long way. Here are some ideas to add a playful touch to your teen's room that they'll be sure to love.
- A hanging chair: Investing in a rattan hanging chair for your teen's bedroom will not only provide much-needed texture to the space but will give them a cozy spot to read and relax.
- Twinkle lights: What teenagers won't love the magical feel that a few string lights can bring to their room?
- Peel-and-stick wallpaper: If your teen loves to make a bold statement, then consider adding a funky accent wall with peel-and-stick wallpaper that has bright colors and patterns.
- Bold bedding: Don't be afraid to think outside the box to bring your teen's ultimate bedroom to life. Mixing patterns and colors on their bedding, curtains, and area rug is a creative way to add whimsy and charm to any space, big or small.
2. Create a Comfy Place to Study
Parents aren't the only ones who work from home. It's no secret that teenagers devote much of their time to homework, studying, and school projects. Because of this, it's important to provide a comfy place for them to work and study in their room. But if their room isn't particularly spacious, don't worry. A simple desk, chair, and table lamp are all they need to make doing schoolwork at home a breeze.
3. Make It Personal
If nothing else, the perfect room for a teenager would reflect who they are and what they love. To make their room feel personal and unique, be sure to incorporate items and decorations that will mean something to them. Along with photographs of their friends, be sure to bring in:
- Their favorite color on everything from wall color and accent pillows to curtains and area rugs
- Personalized wall hangings, such as musical instruments, souvenirs, or their collections
- Teen-friendly artwork, such as pictures of their favorite band, sports team, or place
4. Provide Plenty of Shelves
Let's face it; teenagers have a lot of stuff. To help their room stay tidy, providing plenty of storage space is certainly a good idea. This is where bookshelves become an essential feature to make any teenager's room more stylish and practical. A flush mount bookcase door from The Murphy Door would make a beautiful addition to virtually any teen's bedroom. Customized to suit the size, style, and decor of their bedroom, our bookcase would add 20 cubic feet of storage to your teen's closet. This can help them stay organized and display their favorite decorations. At the same time, it will have an attractive, refined look that is sure to mesh with the rest of your home.
To view our large selection of quality bookcases and hidden door solutions that can easily enhance the style and function of your teenager's bedroom, visit The Murphy Door online today!