Everyone wants a space to call their own. For many guys, having a room designated for their favorite activities would be a dream come true. Luckily, transforming an area of your home into the ultimate man cave is simpler than it might appear. Here are five easy steps from the experts at Murphy Door to help you put together the perfect man cave right in your own home.
1. Find the Best Spot
Choosing the right location for your man cave is important. Ultimately, the size of your house and how you plan to use your man cave will determine where the best place to create it will be.
For example, if you're planning to work in the space, it's probably best to choose a quiet and distraction-free room. Alternatively, if you don't have an extra room to devote exclusively to a man cave, you may have to be a bit more creative to bring your vision to life. In these cases, a garage, basement, or loft may be a good option to use instead.
2. Pick a Theme
Using a theme in your man cave may sound silly. But when used appropriately, a theme can help you create a space that feels balanced, cohesive, and comfortable. Choosing a theme doesn't necessarily mean covering the room in football accessories. On the contrary, its purpose is to give you direction when choosing furniture and decorations for your man cave. Here are some questions to help make designing your man cave a breeze:
- Do you want the space to feel casual and laid-back or regal and sophisticated?
- Do you prefer a modern aesthetic or something more traditional?
- Would you like to make a statement with bold colors or stick with neutral tones?
3. Add Manly Touches
When it comes to decorating your man cave, incorporating masculine touches is a no-brainer. Of course, the room should be both comfortable and functional, but it should look good, too. To make sure your man cave looks its best, here are some ideas to keep in mind:
- Stick with rich colors, such as grays, greens, browns, and blues.
- Choose furnishings and accessories that have straight lines and sharp edges.
- Incorporate geometric patterns, stripes, and plaid rather than feminine designs, such as florals.
- Use natural elements, such as leather, stone, steel, and glass, to add texture and personality to the space.
4. Don't Forget Man Cave Entertainment
Regardless of what you intend to do in the space, adding man cave entertainment to the room is essential. The good news is that the sky's the limit when it comes to adding playful elements to your man cave. Check out these ideas to have some fun in your man cave:
- Bring in games, such as foosball, air hockey, or a pool table.
- Add a big-screen television to watch your favorite sports games, movies, and video games.
- Include a wet bar to make serving cocktails to your guests more convenient than ever.
5. Make It Your Own
While you may have to share the other living spaces of your home with other members of your household, your man cave is one space that is all your own. With this in mind, it's important to decorate it in a way that feels like it. Be sure to display plenty of elements that reflect your unique taste, interests, and hobbies, including your favorite colors, furniture, photographs, and pieces you've collected over the years. When the space includes the items that mean the most to you, you'll be sure to call it your own.
A hidden door from Murphy Door would make the perfect addition to any man cave. Choose from our large selection of customizable hidden door solutions, including our Flush Mount Bookcase Door, Gun Cabinet Door, Pool Cue Table, and more, to add to your man cave entertainment and style!